Tuesday, October 25, 2011

25/10/2011

morning,
 
in town, will be heading back into the brush tomorrow..
looking forward to the tranquility and being able to do my things..
 
also packing some survival loot from the technocult..  a few items...
will be nice to have the plastic buckets..   thinking to start buying plastic tool boxes next trip to Panama,
want to get things as organized as possible, so I can have more breathing room in my shelter..
 
one thing at a time relentlessly working towards my preparedness goals..
 
and will start working on stuff to build a fire piston,  and be able to light fires on days too cloudy for a lens, or even at night..
will be fun to play around with, and learn the skills, and work on some new habits, keeping dry tinder etc.. will take me a big step farther from reliance on the technocult,  with something that will fit into my refugee kit...
 
thinking I have a long 3/8's stainless bolt in my stash, to use for the piston, will have to wait a couple of weeks until next town trip, to look for some copper tubing to fit, and an O ring..  then  will make a wooden shaft to fit the tube into..  also thinking to do a brass wire bail as a keeper for the plunger, and will do some kind of lanyard attachment point for the whole device..  I like to tie my survival stuff as much as possible to the bags etc..  so it doesnt get lost in a tumble.. or fall out of a pocket..
 
when I can find the stuff, will likely make several smaller units,  and scatter them around in things like my bow quiver, maybe do a downsized version to go on key chain... so that the chances of having one at any given time are increased..
 
I have a stainless can for tinder..  will likely put the charred cloth into a plastic bag inside of it, due to the ambient humidity of the rain forest..
in the smaller kits use a plastic bottle perhaps.. here one has to be very careful keeping things dry, even the bakelite handles of kitchen knives will grow fungus... 
 
as do the rubber handles on tools etc..
 
also hoping to afford more nylon cord next month, to do some more heavy duty net bags, and to work on my wooden back back frame..  for lacing, and doing a net bag, so I can just stuff things into it..
 
tired of busted zippers on packs.. they look good but last a year at most of regular use..
Im afraid alot of survivalist types are going  be hauling their stuff in their bedraggled sleeping bags in short order...
 
fast downhill trip on yuppie gear..
 
well, I need to go take a bath, and put more bread in the oven, likely a couple weeks until next blog posting....
 
have a good day who ever you are..
 
 
 
 

No comments: