Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Wednesday 13th January 2010........

morning,
have spuds & ripe bananas in the peel in the dutch oven over a slow
fire... have been munching on coconut, radio time soon....

did some surfing this morning, looking for a couple stag horn slabs
for a knife, they wanted $75 for slabs on line... so I guess I'll be
happy with Cortesa instead....

I only paid $2 for the blade, cut down a thick french knife with
german handle style tang, made a Puma White hunter style blade....

which I am way happy with, the original Puma is a tich thick for my
tastes, and I dont need the back edge.... so I'm gearing up for a
knife project... debating a brass guard, I have a nice coin that
would work....or could go bolsters... I dunno...

and I came to the realization this morning, that just using what I
had, was better than buying, because the real goal is durable
survival gear, and not something fancy... basically with knives you
are after designs that are handy, not Rambo.... field knives are
camp knives, i.e. Handy in size and shape, with a bit thicker
blades for durability, but not too thick or you start getting problems
cutting efficiently.. knives are mechanically an inclined plane,
that cuts by having an extremely fine edge.. by having a thinner
blade you can get flatter angles, effectively sharper.... but too
thin, and blade gets flimsy... too thick, and you can still get an
edge, but it requires much more force, and efectively becomes more
of an axe than a knife...

The logic is this, that in the field, you dont have the opportunity
to resupply, and also tools are often called upon to do some rough
duty.... so basically a camp knife is a kitchen knife, but a bit
heavier duty than normal.. what you see for sale as hunting knives
are often useless for anything but complimenting your
steriods..........

if you dont believe it, try using the Rambo knife in the kitchen
at home for awhile......

Camp chores are similar to kitchen chores, the first necesity
being food.... but camp chores are also very retro.... they include
keeping a fire going, shaving wood sticks to create tinder, also
they get used for basic butchery, on animals, fish, and tough
veggies.... things dont come all cut into packaged portions....
butchery of animals, larger ones, deer etc. is hard work for a
knife, and requires a very keen edge, often being resharpened once,
maybe twice, in a single process.....

an item in the camp kitchen not in the house kitchen is a
hachet..... a hatchet is a knife saver...
in cold climates its a life saver, and the colder the climate the
more you need its big brother the axe....

I suspect my bugout gear contains more knives, than any other
item... one thing I'd like to do when I can is make heavy leather
sheaths or boxes for my best sharpening stones... I have smaller
sharpening stones in leather
belt sheaths... would like to do something similar for my full sized
sharpening stuff...
protectors from breakage more than anything else...

Earthquakes in diverse places? just heard maybe hundreds of thousands
of dead in Haiti....

End times.... best rethink yourselves....

time is what we have the least of...

--
Sent from my mobile device

No comments: