Monday, October 26, 2009

Blog entry; Sunday 25th 2009............

Still morning, worked since daybreak on the 6 inch utility knife..
It was a bit ugly due to being tired when its turn came on the
grinder, but thru a dint of serious hand labor, managed to clean up
its problems into a good knife... its a good little crossover
between a hunter and a kitchen knife, thicker blade w/a hunters
lines, and a kitcheny handle of Bakelite slabs... I dont mind
bakelight, good stuff, a tich brittle, but its more durable than any
wood, and very heat resistant, likely the handle of choice for
spaceman's knives, if cold doesnt make it too brittle...

I've been into knives most of my life, made them as a kid, became an
engraver etc, got into blacksmithing, once had some nice tools for
knife making... now after having the shit beat out of me a few times
by the system and people in general, I'm down to hand tools and
ugrading steel blades that start as kitchen knives....

one of the interesting things I've learned in my hajyra, is that many
of the knife designs from traditional cultures are natural results of
their processes, the forging, the grinding etc. helping influence
the artist's craft and affecting muchly the finished results.. So
while many with more money and better tools have created some very
nice knives, many based on older styles, I by being disadvantaged have
been led into discovering some roots of the art they dont know and
cant grasp, without shutting off the machine, and learning to
actually shape a steel blade with a hunk of stone held in their
hand.... So rather than complain of my relative poverty, I feel
lucky.. I have learned the why of blade shapes, from the line
between the stone age and the dawn of steel....

and in fact I would encourage other knife lover/makers to try it,
grind or forge out your rough shapes and bevels, get some fairly
cheap aluminum oxide stones, some dripping water, and a flat rock or
stump to work on, with maybe a hunk of tire rubber for a cushion for
the blade, and go at it until you start seeing where it takes
you.....

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised after getting some
experience... I being the sea dog that I am, like to gnaw on
projects.... carving, sharpening, sketching, gouging, and sawing,
the mantra keeps me rocking towards my finished item results of what
started with a creative idea...

I wont win many knife shows, but I will have some exceedingly fine
practical knives, and did it on a shoestring... knives you cant buy
anywhere, and plenty good for a stargate pack pony's load...

and I got a couple hunks of scrap perfect to make harpoon tips with,
for use with the monster swordfish here...

I think what I might do on the handles, is pry out the cheesy stanless
cork and remove the screws one finds under them and replace with a
stainless allen screw and locknut... this would allow me to strip the
bakelite slabs for cleaning etc....

I also have another blade to cut out, a thrower, and thinking to
replace its handle slabs with ones shaped out of cutting board
plastic.... Bolted on too... allowing me a durable thrower with slabs
I can tighten...

I've thrown knives for years, have boughten pro quality throwers,
but thinking to do a carryier type, that I can use also as a
gardener's knife....

anyway... Moral of the story, is you dont need a shop and a bunch of
clients to make knives.... You can make them for yourself, and short
circuit all the money and vanity problems...

Also there's this; with the acquired knowlege and skills, in whats
coming, you may be able to not only subsist and survive, but to
prosper and thrive....

Which connects to why the Sky Gods would come lightyears for a few
good humans... its going back to their own roots... those who have
been through hell, are very likely not to repeat similar errors, and
are very likely to possess knowlege and skills more technically
oriented beings might have lost.... it would be a form of cultural
renewal with out having to do it themselves.. memory likely fades for
immortal beings, having cultural children could keep them younger
figuratively speaking... New blood, with out having to get too
bloody.... they have us to do that for them thanks to our own ample
stupidity....

me? I dont really know anything... But thanks to life, I have
learned how to figure things out and arrive at creative sollutions...

anyway, got food on, bath next, then guitar I think... maybe work on
the 9.5 inch knife later... wanna have it fairly done to show my
worker tomorrow, give him incentive to do more hand crafts
himself....

another point I'd like to make, is that it seems like being normal
isnt likely to be much in the way of a survival trait.... maybe its a
bit of a dichotomy pair? to be a good survivor you have to be a bit
loco?

We'll have to see if I make it, to test the theory.... I'll let you
know if I do....


another point I'd like to make, is you can quit reading adventure
stories.... and actually set out to find your own... It is possible &
preferrable, I've proven that.... I find adventure stories boring
now..... the real thing is alot better....

So you might consider putting the book down its too fakey anyway...
Get some gear made up, downsize on your pile of shit, get rid of what
you arent going to need, and upgrade what you will need, and then
some morning, lock the door, put the keys in an envelope with a stamp
on it, and drop them into the mailbox, the last thing you ever did
before becomming a free human....

--
Sent from my mobile device

No comments: